2016 Golden State of Cocktails Return January 23-26
Golden State of Cocktails returns in a couple of weeks to Downtown Los Angeles. This time it comes to The Majestic where the space will be transformed for seminars and tastings. There will also be bar crawls and spirited dinners around the city. The bar industry from all over California, really all over the country, will converge in LA January 23-26. Tickets are now on sale.
GSC starts with service day with Cornerstone and then a BBQ on Saturday, the 23rd.
Pernod Ricard also returns as the sponsor of the opening night party which is invitation only. Some lucky ducks will get to preview the fourth floor of Clifton’s downtown where the tiki and steakhouse bars will be. Those are slated to open after the mixology bar opens in the next month or so.
Some seminars I’m looking forward to:
Sunday, January 24
- Classic Gin Cocktails with Sipsmith Gin
- Tiki Cocktails and Culture in a Modern Setting with Plantation Rum
- The Style and Heritage of Japanese Bartending with Kikori Whiskey
- The World of Amari with Infinium Spirits
- Smartphone Cocktail Photography with Jack Daniel’s
Monday, January 25
- The Effect of Aging with Angel’s Envy
- Drought Prep Behind the Bar with Altos Tequila
- Boomtown and Beyond: The Golden State at Every Age with Bacardi
- History and Application of Sake with Sake One
- Letters to a Young Bartender with Bacardi
Tuesday, January 26
- DIY PR with Dirty Sue and Rutte Gin
- Batching 101 with Woodford Reserve
- From a Judge’s Point of View with Bacardi
- The Art of Blending with Hibiki
- Don’t Call me a “Lady Tender” with Brown-Forman
- A Grape Conversation with Courvoisier
Last year one of my favorite seminars was the Letters to a Young Bartender. It was really cool to hear people such as Marcos Tello, a wonderful member of our community give advice to people just starting out.
Golden State of Cocktails is also a great time to do tastings and check out new products or brand extensions of old favorites. Last year I discovered great vermouths. This year I’m on a whisky hunt and looking forward to checking out some such as Haig Club.
This year I’m ready to try some of the new activities like the DTLA Artwalk with St. Germain. Or check out a spirited dinner with Munchies and Crown Royal at either Girasol on Sunday night, Faith and Flower on Monday night or Hatchet Hall on Tuesday night.
There will also be fun DIY things like Heaven Hill’s now famous mini barrel takeaway. What barrel-aged cocktail should I make this year?
Happy Hours are also going to be amazing. The one with Ludlow Cocktail Company featuring their brand new Spritz line will be paired with Coolhaus ice cream. Yay, boozy ice cream floats! Check that out on Sunday.
I’m looking forward to the great parties like the Bobby Burns Celebration at Good Times at Davey Wayne’s with Abelour, Chivas Regal and The Glenlivet on Monday night. Don’t forget to swing back to Las Perlas in DTLA for the Kentucky Cantina with Beam Suntory and Jarritos Monday night. The Museum of the American Cocktail (MOTAC) will also be opening their Agave Gallery at Las Perlas on Tuesday night.
See you there!
Most events will be held at the Majestic DTLA but check the schedule for exact locations.
© The Minty 2016