Golden State of Cocktails Returns January 26-29
Golden State of Cocktails returns to Los Angeles for its second year next week, January 26-29. Over 800 people are expected to attend GSC which includes seminars, spirited dinners, a bar crawl, parties and more.
Kick off the week on Monday, January 26 with the Bon Vivants fried chicken party, Finger Lickin’! at Good Times at Davey Wayne’s. Tickets are only $20. Then the Bon Vivants take over Harvard and Stone later that night at 9 p.m. And if for some reason you’re still standing, there’s the after-party, after-party at Honeycut. Check out the Winerave at 11 p.m.
Seminars ($25-45) are over the next three days, January 27-29 at the Los Angeles Athletic Club.
Here are some of my picks– if only I could clone myself to attend them all:
Tuesday, January 27
- 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. – Women in Whiskey
- 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. – To Comp or Not to Comp: The Art of the Buyback
- 1:30 p.m. -2:30 p.m. – Branding: A Love/Hate Relationship
- 2:30 p.m. – 4 p.m. – From Bartender to Bar Owner
- 4:30 p.m. – 6 p.m. – The Fine Art of Cognac: Distilling Uniqueness
Don’t miss the take-aways throughout the day as well such as making your own bottled cocktails and the Absolut Drag Happy Hour (4-6 p.m.)!
That night, there are a couple of parties including That Time of the Month at La Descarga.
Wednesday, January 28
- 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. – Skills Lab
- 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. – The Iconic Gin and Tonic
- 12:30 p.m. – 2 p.m. – A French Affair
- 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. – Designing Both Sides of the Bar
- 2:30 p.m. – 4 p.m. – Naked and Afraid
- 3:30 p.m. – 5 p.m. – Beyond the Sake Bomb
If you have some spare time in between sessions, I would recommend the making your own barrel-aged cocktail take-away or checking out the Middleton Single Pot Still showcase.
Thursday, January 29
- 11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. – Healthy Bar Habits
- 12 p.m. – 1 p.m. – Beats, Rhymes and Ice
- 1 p.m. – 2 p.m. – Mixologist vs Bartender
- 2:30 p.m. – 4 p.m. – Southern Hospitality
- 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. – The Pharmacology Behind Creating Flavor-Addicting Cocktails
- 4:30 p.m. – 6 p.m. – Marketing for All: From Nightlife to Fast Casual to Hotels
And that’s not all! There are three spirited dinners ($100/person) including a cognac dinner at Scopa on January 27, tequila dinner at Commissary on January 28 and whiskey at Apt. A on January 29. Call the restaurants for reservations.
Plus some special events including a Westside Bar crawl ($50) sponsored by Anchor Distilling and Museum of the American Cocktail at Casey’s Irish Pub with Dale DeGroff on January 28. Find all the tickets and more on the GSC website.
And finally (whew!), there’s the GSC closing party with the 86 Co at the Regent Theatre at 9 p.m. It’s a free RSVP for hospitality industry – email gsc86rsvp@gmail .com to RSVP.
And if you’re coming to LA for GSC, come out a little earlier for Speed Rack this Sunday!
Keep up with all the GSC events on their facebook event page.
© The Minty 2015